Monday, August 1, 2011

Finding Your Niche

Since I first started selling online (my first site was Etsy) - I've struggled with my shop's "identity" and where I fit into the masses and masses of handmade jewelry sellers.  Jewelry is an extraordinarily competitive catagory to sell in no matter what your venue, and with many sellers being "hobby" sellers (ie: just looking to recoup their supply costs, not necessarily turn a profit) - what's a hopeful professional to do?


Find your niche!

1977 Science Microfilm Earrings - $12

It took me a while to figure mine out - but once I did, I couldn't believe it took me as long as it did to figure out.  I'm a librarian, I love reading, I love being a librarian and helping others develop a love of reading...so why not make book themed goodies?!

Dewey Decimal Earrings - $17

 
I started using the cards from our old card catalog (that they are throwing away, because our records have long since been digitized) to make lovely jewelry.  I use books that are being withdrawn (removed from the collection) and old bound periodicals like these images from a large bound copy of the London Times.


Buckingham Palace Earrings - $17

Incorporating something I love into my jewelry (rather than just things I found "pretty") has shown me that other people really love it too!  There are more bibliophiles out there than I ever imagined, and plenty of others who like the style for it's "geek chic" - so go out there, and find your niche!  It might be right under your nose!

Happy Crafting,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment